Friday, December 30, 2011

Happy 6th Birthday Bennjamin

Dec 21st was Bennjamin's 6th Birthday! I am not sure what clicked in my head/heart in the last few months of 2011, but something did because I cried on both Caleb's and Bennjamin's birthday. I am sure their will be tears when Josiah turns 4 in a few months too.
BennBenn 1st Birthday
 So on this special day I took Benn aside and shared with him the story (vaguely)  of how Dave and I felt when we found out we were going to have him up to the point when he met Daddy for the first time at 2 months.

When Dave and I found out that we were going to be parents there was a swirl of emotion that over took us, as there is with most new parents I suppose. We were both in the military and I did not have intentions of getting out anytime soon. A few months went by and I had to make the decision, was I going to be a military mom or get out and be a stay at home mom. I was told that after Benn was born in December, I was going to be deployed to the dessert in May and I had no choice. I promptly started my paperwork and took my option to get out of the military!!! (When a female finds out she is pregnant she has the option to get out and no one can stop her)
I traded in my gun for a computer and took a back office job while I waited patiently for my paperwork to go through. Mean while Dave started preparations and training to be deployed. Before he left he joined me at the 20 week ultra sound to find out he was going to have a son. A week later I said good-bye to the my love as he loaded up on a bus to fly across the sea to a hot dessert. The place where, in a few months, he would hear his firstborn son cry for the first time.


Dec 2nd I signed the dotted line and said good-bye to my uniform and hello to aprons, diapers, burp rags and so much more. I spent that next few weeks Christmas shopping and nesting waiting for Bennjamin to make his entrance. After a full day of walking and shopping on Dec 19th my water broke at 1am. My little guy was on his way. . . so we thought.

HOURS went by and nothing happened. I wish I knew then, what I know now!!!

After 48+ hours, pitocin, an epidural, a threatened C-section and lots of encouragement from my mom, dad, sister, four of my dear friends (Names not posted for privacy) and my wonderful hubby who sat on the phone the entire time! Bennajmin Michael Abel was born at 4:21am 9lbs 3oz on December 21st 2005!! I immediately fell in love with that little man! Dave listened to his first cries from thousands of miles away and he too fell in love that morning.

The next couple months went by fast and slow. I was learning to be a mommy and all that encompasses and also waiting for my love to return. February 21st 2006 I stood anxiously outside Airport security holding a 2 months old baby boy who was excited to meet his Daddy for the first time. We embraced with Benn snug in the middle.

Here we are 6 years later!! Benn is an amazing little man. He amazes me more and more everyday. He loves to read, do puzzles, play board games and build his Legos. He is an amazing big brother and loves to entertain his little brothers. He does his chores without complaint and is always eager to help out. He loves to snuggle and he loves to dance. He is sensitive and smart, tough and gentle. He is my BennBenn and I adore him.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEET BOY!!



 Apple Cinnomon pancakes, Benn's favorite on the "Special Day" Plate.
 Bennjamin asked for a chocolate cake and wanted ALL the super heroes on it. So I frosted it in his favorite color orange and made some cut outs for the cakes. He loved it! The cut outs are now on his bedroom door.

 Bennjamin was super excited to invite his new friends over to his birthday. (No names for privacy) He definitely misses his friend back in Alaska, but is having a blast getting to know his new friends.



Why do I spell Benn with two "n"s instead of one?
I LOVE the name Benjamin and desired for it to be unique in the way it was spelled and that was harder to accomplish, than I thought . So the name got two "n"s and I would never do it any other way! He will never meet another Benn with the same spelling and I love it!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to Benn! Wish we could celebrate with you.
    Courtney, I love your creative cakes--Pan and birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sad we missed the celebration! And I love that you spell his name with 2 "n's". We love the unique spelled names around this house!

    ReplyDelete